Your Personal Brand Is Built by Design or by Default. Which One Are You Choosing?


When I wrote Redefined, I spent a lot of time talking about reinvention.

Not because I believe we should constantly reinvent ourselves, but because our careers evolve. Our experiences change us. We grow. We learn. We discover new strengths and, sometimes, entirely new purpose.

The question is whether our reputation evolves with us. One of the biggest misconceptions about personal branding is that it's about self-promotion. It isn't.

It's about intention.

Whether you realize it or not, you're building your personal brand every single day. The only question is whether you're doing it intentionally.

Your brand isn't your LinkedIn headline.
It isn't your resume.
It isn't the photo you carefully selected for your profile.

Your personal brand is your reputation.
It's what people say after you've left the meeting.
It's what comes to mind when someone asks, "Who would be great for this opportunity?"
It's the confidence people have in your ability to lead, solve problems, and follow through.
In other words, your reputation is working for you long before you ever walk into the room.

And that's why every interaction matters.
Every email.
Every meeting.
Every conversation.
Every commitment you keep.
Every commitment you don't.

I've learned over the years that people rarely remember every detail of what you accomplished. But like our girl Maya Angelou said, they remember how you made them feel. They remember whether you listened. Whether you followed through. Whether you treated everyone with the same respect, regardless of their title.
Those moments become your reputation.

Recently, while speaking to a group of women executives and entrepreneurs, I asked a simple question.

If I asked five colleagues to describe you in three words, what would they say?
Followed it with...

Would those words match how you want to be known?
The room got very quiet.

Because that's the real question.
Most of us spend far more time thinking about our next promotion, our next client, or our next opportunity than we do thinking about the reputation we're building every day.
Yet the two are inseparable.

Some of the greatest opportunities in my career didn't begin with a job posting or an application. They began because someone remembered my name, trusted my work, and recommended me when I wasn't in the room.

That's the power of reputation.

And here's the good news: your personal brand isn't fixed.

Just as we grow personally and professionally, our reputations can evolve. We can become more intentional about how we communicate, how we lead, and how we show up for others.
That's one of the themes I hope readers took away from Redefined. Reinvention isn't about becoming someone else. It's about becoming more intentional about who you're becoming.
Your legacy won't be built by one big moment.

It will be built by hundreds of small ones.

So I'll leave you with the same question I asked that audience.

If five colleagues described you in three words, what would they say?
More importantly...
Are those the three words you want to define your career?

Because whether you realize it or not, your personal brand is being built by design or by default.
Which one are you choosing?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The ATS Wake-Up Call: When the Job Search Playbook Stops Working

The Why Behind "Redefined"

Anthropic's Economic Report: AI Isn’t Replacing Jobs. It’s Rewriting Them One Task at a Time.